Friday 13 November 2015

A bee meets an alien - the story I wrote and never spoke of again

Some years ago I wrote a book about a little bee, named Beatrice, who lived in a great oak with her parents. The night her father receives a very important award for his professional achievements (in the field), a disaster strikes: fiery pieces fall from the sky and something big and scary crashes into the nearby lake. And Bea finds a piece of something shiny right on her bedroom floor...


The plot then goes on to tell how a little bee meets an alien creature and becomes friends with him, helping him go home.

I wrote this most ridiculous story of my life a few years ago. It was so silly... and yet I enjoyed it. I like Bea, her parents, nasty fly she used to be friends with and even Mr Hedgehog - a typical old grump every child must explain their actions to. And yet I never even spoke of it, at least not a lot. I started a Facebook page and forgot all about it.

Until someone bought it. Somebody actually dag it up on Amazon and bought a copy, despite its terrible cover. And then I remembered: hey, I wrote this. It went on somebody's bookshelf (unless they recycle it after reading first three pages, which is always an option...)

Where did such bizarre tale come from?, I then asked myself. And I still have no answer to this question. I like bees (we're royally screwed without them, I'm afraid) and I like the topic of aliens (I do not believe they are real, I am convinced they are real; also, technically we're them, too...) I combined the two and a children's story emerged. And all that coming from a person who used to write bloody horrors...

So I thought I'll introduce you to Beatrice, as I already have introduced you to Qwerty Seymore and Huck the Cat. You see, I love my little characters, every single one. They're so imperfect, so dopey at times, and not always doing the right thing... But they're lovable (to me, at least), even if they're nothing more than a small, flying mischief...


If for any weird reason you are interested in a story about a bee meeting an alien, it's available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment