Tuesday 17 November 2015

Qwerty meets Ange - the extract from the novel "Qwerty: The History"

Strolling like this, with his nose aimed at the ground and his hands deep in his pockets, he did not pay attention to the road, and all of a sudden he walked into someone. Well, to be more precise, it was the other way round: that someone hit him with such impact that Qwerty barely kept his balance. Without looking up, he mumbled “Sorry” and carried on. But somebody’s voice stopped him in his tracks.

Ange & Qwerty Pictures by GINO


                ‘Wait,’ he heard behind him. ‘You’re Sean, aren’t you?’

                ‘No,’ he growled in reply, with his brows knitted. He looked up and found himself standing in front of a short girl. Straight hair fell on her shoulders. She was dressed in stretched overalls and faded pink t-shirt with a huge, white flower on its front. A white sock was sticking out of a hole in her sneaker.

                ‘Oh, sorry… I must have confused you with somebody… Even though you look just like him. My name’s Angelina, but everybody calls me Ange,’ she said and extended her scratched hand to him.

                ‘Qwerty,’ he replied shortly, squeezing her hand gently, so he wouldn’t rub against the cuts too hard.

                ‘Unusual name. Have you just moved here? I’ve never seen you here before, and I know most people around here. Where do you live?’

                ‘On Pilsdon Drive,’ he admitted reluctantly, wanting to go away and even taking a step back.

                ‘I was not wrong, then. You’re Sean… or at least that’s what they call you.’

                ‘Sean is my second name, but I don’t like it,’ he said haughtily. ‘My name is Qwerty.’

                ‘I’m sorry to have run into you, but –’

                ‘Since you are in a rush, I’m not stopping you. Run,’ Qwerty interrupted her hastily and waved his hand, as if trying to discourage a fly from circling around his person; then he took another step back. But Angelina didn’t seem put off by this at all.

                ‘No, come on, not at all,’ she said with a wide smile. ‘I’m not in a rush. I just… well, I jog from time to time. Do you mind if I walk with you?’

                ‘Sure,’ answered Qwerty in such a tone that everybody else would go away. But Angelina joined him without hesitation.

Ange and Qwerty Pictures by GINO

                ‘So you are that… that new guy, right?’

                ‘Yes, I am the hooligan raised by a murderer, if that’s what you mean.’

                ‘Oh, no, stop it. That’s not what I meant. I don’t believe all that gossip about you and I really wanted to see you,’ claimed Ange, clearly angry at the gossiping perpetrators.

                ‘I’m not some… some weird exhibit to look at,’ hissed Qwerty.

                ‘I know. And I still wanted to talk to you,’ continued Ange, apparently oblivious to the grave tone of her new friend. 

                ‘Just be careful so they don’t see you with me. No one will speak to you again,’ he said grimly, looking at his feet.

                ‘I don’t care, you know,’ said Ange cheerfully, shaking her head.

                Qwerty glared at her and his expression lost some of its hostility.

                ‘Ok, I was curious about you,’ Ange laughed uncertainly. ‘But I thought everything they said about you is a lie.’

                ‘It is all a lie,’ he said with some emphasis.

                ‘I believe you. Oh, it’s hot. Aren’t you bored, just walking around alone?’ Ange glanced at him, clearly wanting to change the subject.

                ‘Well… A bit, yes,’ Qwerty nodded, thinking he was very bored and had enough of being alone. He didn’t notice Angelina’s smile.

                ‘Good. I was worried you wanted me to go. How long have you been in Poole?’

                ‘Over a month.’

                ‘Well, better that than living here for thirteen years, like me,’ she laughed again, but it was obvious she was just saying it, for the sake of keeping the conversation going. Qwerty answered with a grimace, which was supposed to imitate a smile.

                ‘Have you always lived here?’ he volunteered a question.

                ‘Yes. I like it here, you know, it’s close to the sea, the neighbourhood’s ok,’ Ange waved her hand around. ‘It’s just people. They’re very… demanding.’

                ‘Yeah, I guess I agree,’ said Qwerty bitterly.

                ‘I’m with ya. I’m guessing how you feel. Every new person has it hard for some time, and there’s this gossip about you…,’ she paused, clearly regretting she went back to that issue.

                ‘Like?’ Qwerty frowned again.

                ‘Oh, not worth repeating. Silly stuff. Where did you live before?’

                ‘In Corfe Castle,’ Qwerty knew she was trying to change the subject again.

                ‘Corfe Castle…? I went there once. It’s a famous place, isn’t it? There are the ruins…’

                ‘Bankes family castle, yes. Like Kingston Lacy, the castle was once theirs,’ he explained coldly.

                ‘Ah, yes. I read about it, I think. Are you coming to our school here?’ she asked and he felt irritated again. What was it, some sort of investigation?

                ‘Yes,’ he muttered in reply.

                ‘To Corfe Hills?’ Ange kept asking.

                ‘Yes. I’m signed up. Listen…,’ Qwerty was going to end this conversation, but Angelina interrupted him.

                ‘Great. We’ll be in one school. Maybe even have some classes together.’

                ‘And? Are you happy?’ Qwerty finally exploded, but his new acquaintance didn’t seem to notice.

                ‘Yeah!’

                They walked in silence for a moment.

                ‘What about you? Where do you live?’ Qwerty asked, now calmer.

               'Not far from here, on Redhoave Road. Come on, I'll show you, if you want,' and, not waiting for his answer, she pulled him behind her.


"Qwerty: The History" is now AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.

"Qwerty: The History" - has arrived to the pages near you

No comments:

Post a Comment